$3.2 Million Settlement Sends Clear Message – Stop Debt Collection Harassment
Creditors have a legal right to collect on the debts that people owe them. At the same time, if you owe a debt, certain federal and state laws protect you from creditors who harass you in the collection process. Unfortunately, creditor harassment is not uncommon. In fact, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) receives numerous complaints each year from consumers across the country about the disturbing collection actions of creditors or their agents that are designed to coerce you to pay your debt.
In 2013, the FTC sued Expert Global Solutions for violating several of the anti- harassment debt collection provisions found in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). In the settlement of the lawsuit, Expert Global Solutions agreed to pay $3.2 million in civil penalties and to alter their collection tactics to comply with FDCPA. Expert Global Solutions is a worldwide the conglomerate of companies with operations in the US, Canada, India, Panama, Barbados and the Philippines and has approximately 32,000 employees. The FTC hopes the settlement will deter others in the industry from harassing consumers.
Collection harassment defined under the FDCPA
In the lawsuit, the FTC alleged that Expert Global Solutions engaged in the following FDCPA violations:
- Called consumers multiple times per day, at all times during the day and night, which continued throughout the week
- Called consumers at work even after being notified that such calls were against work place policies
- Continued making calls to consumers after they gave clear and adequate requests to discontinue contact and company pledged to comply with the requests
- Left personal voice message announcements to third parties indicating that the consumer owed a debt
- Continued collection activities on debts that a consumer denied owing
- Failed to conduct proper investigations to verify the debt amount or the actual debtor
The stress stops here
If you are faced with the harassment of an unfair debt collector, fight back with an Orange County attorney at Fishback Law Corp. Our attorneys understand stress associated with debt collection, and we are dedicated to helping our clients find solutions.